Wednesday, July 15, 2020

MARTHANDA VARMA

A Gracious Ruler

By V Ramnarayan


I am no fan of royalty, though I used to believe in the superstition that that was the way authors were rewarded by publishers. I have certainly not been in awe of princes, nawabs and rajas, with the notable exceptions of Ranji, Duleep, Pataudi and Hanumant Singh. It was but natural for me then, when invited to be part of a weeklong celebration of the GNB Centenary in January 2010, each day inaugurated by an erstwhile raja or maharaja of one of India’s princely states of yore, not to be overly excited. I had around the time embarked on the enjoyable adventure of translating into English a slim biography of the iconic GN Balasubramaniam, the matinee idol among the great 20th century Carnatic music vocalists, and that was enough reason for me attend the lectures on him every evening.

The princely chief guest on one of those evenings was Marthanda Varma of the former Travancore court. As I was leaving home for Narada Gana Sabha that evening, my mother said to me, “If you get a chance to meet the maharaja, please talk to him about your grandfather. Like everyone in the family, she referred to her father as Anna, and continued, “After retiring as Inspector of Schools in Trivandrum, Anna was appointed as the maharaja’s private tutor for sometime, and Marthanda Varma even mentioned him to a Malayalam magazine once.”

The programme that evening was pleasant enough and the maharaja made an excellent speech, keeping it short and sweet. I had no chance of meeting him, and was sorry I was going to disappoint my mother. After the programme, I stopped at the open air cafeteria for a cup of coffee, and lo and behold, someone seated the chief guest next to me while he waited for his car. My esteemed companion seemed friendly enough, so I made bold to bring up the topic of grandfather Sivaramakrishna Iyer. The maharaja not only remembered him with some pleasure, but asked me if I had with me any photograph of him belonging to that particular vintage. Even as I was preparing to reply, he said he would send me a photograph of them both. Just then, one of the organisers came over to inform Marthanda Varma that the car was ready to take him home. “You spoke so well today, Sir,” he added. “I owe it all to this man’s grandfather Sivaramakrishna Iyer. He transformed me from an indifferent student into a scholar.”

The promised photograph never came, but I can never forget Marthanda Varma’s warmth and grace.

   


No comments: